Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Sunshine!


Today is a beautiful sunny day; it's sunny like it is in the picture above, but greener because it is now actually spring. For once, I'm looking forward to running errands, because today I have to walk to the post office and it looks absolutely delightful out there.

Not to mention that it will be great to finally get these things sent off... a three-month-delayed birthday present (!!), a happy spring package that I've been putting together for a while (it's definitely time to send it off), and a notarized copy of my birth certificate (so I can finally get my new Swedish passport). According to the Swedish documentation, I now have three places of birth: Everett, Mukilteo, and Visby. The funny thing is that, after sending my birth certificate, I will have "only" two... Everett, WA, USA and Visby, Sweden. (4,809 miles apart) I've talked this over with them several times, and apparently two birth places makes perfect sense to them, no matter how much I insist that I could only physically be born in one location. (Perhaps Swedes are good multitaskers.)

Here's the logic:
1) Since I was actually born in Everett, then that is my birthplace. (agreed.)
2) BUT, since at the time of my birth my mom was still registered as a resident in Visby, Sweden, that is also my birthplace. (huh?)

They tell me patiently, "They are both your birthplaces, just different kinds".

Right.

1 Comments:

At 4/5/06 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That cracks me up. Brett thinks it's logical as well. He's trying to explaine it to me...something about international law. Guess it's political; and politics and I don't mix! Well, I guess we do (Brett being politics and me being science).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home