Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Beef Stew

Beef Stew, Serves 4-6

It's fall, and fall is time for delicious, warm stew. Here is a recipe from what I made with Jenni a few weeks ago, and have enjoyed again several times since.

Need:
1 pkg beef for stew (meat dept)
5 or so tomatoes, pureed (or a can, pureed)
5 (or so) red potatoes, cut into chunks
4 (or so) carrots, sliced
10 (or so) mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, cut into chunks
1-3 cloves garlic (I prefer less)
1 can beef broth
1 pkg beef stew mix
1/2 cup (or so) quick-cook or pearl barley
Salt and pepper, to taste
Olive oil
A large pot

Do:
1. Heat some olive oil in a pan. Put the beef in and let it brown for a bit; it's okay if it sticks to the bottom, just stir it about.

2. Add a bit of salt and pepper, the onions, and the garlic. Let cook a bit more.

3. Add the beef stew package, plus however much water they say to add for it. Mix well. Then add the can of beef broth, and bring to a simmer.

4. Add the puréed tomatoes. Then add the barley, the carrots, the potatoes, and the mushrooms. Stir. Return to a simmer.

5. Cook covered for about 2 hours, keep it at almost-simmer. Stir occasionally. When everything is soft and cooked through, add more salt/peppar to taste.

6. Serve hot with a nice coarse bread. It's quite filling.

The result is happy, focused diners, like this:

4 Comments:

At 25/10/06 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm... yum. That looks good. I've been pretty happy with your past recipes so I'll have to give that one a try as well. Thanks!

 
At 26/10/06 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you guys need to look MORE HAPPY about your stoo...I mean stew! Show me some teeth! BTW it does look very nummy and right now I'm starved!

 
At 30/10/06 12:35 PM, Blogger monsterpants said...

oh man, that looks so delicious!!

 
At 30/10/06 2:41 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

it truly is delicious. I recommend everyone try it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home