Friday, May 11, 2007

"Jellybean" McKinnon

This little guy is getting a baby sister in about a week:

They're going to call her Kylee. I call her Jellybean.

We celebrated with a tea party baby sprinkle with old friends. It was delightful, and I discovered that scones are not really all that difficult to make. Try for yourself:

---------------------------------
Buttermilk Scones with Raisins (or dried cranberries)

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (plus some extra)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup buttermilk, or slightly more as needed

Preheat oven to 450˚F.

Mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large bowl with a whisk or spoon. (Mix thoroughly.)

Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

Stir in the raisins. Using a large spoon, blend in the buttermilk until a soft dough forms. Place dough on a floured board and roll out to 1/2 inches thickness. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into six squares, and then cut each square again on the diagonal. Place trianges on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 12 scones.

Note: You can also make about twice as many scones by making "mini-scones" when you are cutting them out. It still takes about 10 min to bake.
---------------------------------

4 Comments:

At 12/5/07 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do the parents of 'Jellybean' read this blog?

 
At 12/5/07 12:52 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

;) It's their fault I call her Jellybean in the first place.(And, yes, they do.)

 
At 25/5/07 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is "Jellybean" in Swedish?
-JohnsDad

 
At 28/5/07 3:00 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hm... well, they don't really have jellybeans in Sweden, so I don't know a word off the top of my head. I looked around a little bit on the Swedish side of the internet and the best I could come up with was "jellybean-godis", meaning "jellybean candy".

Of course, if you were Swedish and talking about jellybeans, it would sound like "yellybeans". :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home