Thursday, February 02, 2006

Chinese Brush Painting

The other day, Tom came back with a book called Chinese Brush Painting, which was filled with all sorts of information on how it's done, and most importantly, tons of beautiful images. He said they were on sale at Barnes & Noble, so I went on a walk a few days later and purchased the book myself so I could have a copy to look at, as well. One of these days, I'd like to try it out with real brushes, ink, and paper.

I had some extra time this evening while I was waiting for my dad and my brother to arrive so we could go out to dinner together, so I took out my Wacom tablet and used Painter to make this:


(The characters are pretend, but my best representation of the three Japanese characters I almost know. :o) I would have tried to do the more-appropriate Chinese characters, but I don't know any, and I was too lazy to Google some.)

My result isn't even close to being as beautiful as the pictures in the book, but it was actually quite fun to work at, even with absolutely no skill; I highly recommend getting (or borrowing) a similar book and giving it a try.

2 Comments:

At 6/2/06 4:33 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Somebody is doing an excellent job at updating their blog, and their name doesn't start with Feed.

 
At 7/2/06 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

blasted british bumblebee, this is beautiful...wow steph, quite the multitalented artist. i'm gonna print it out and put it up at my desk in lab...it'll make me smile at the end of my long days at work :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home