Foookies
Today John got some takeout Chinese food that came with a fortune cookie. Or rather, a Foookie. With three o's.

I looked up "foookie" on Google, and discovered the website for the company that makes them (called "House of Bee"; sweet name and interesting graphic), where I was told:
"We decided a fun combination of “fortune + cookies” would distinguish our trademarked name from others. Coincidentally, the Chinese character “福” which is pronounced “fu” (u as in “food”) in Mandarin, and “fok” (similar in sound to “folk”) in Cantonese, means good fortune!"
Interesting.
There are also a bunch of tidbits on how they get the fortune inside the cookie, origin myths, and even an invitation to suggest fortune-texts for them to use in the future. (Use this page.)
Finally, which is interesting to me, they are from Kent, WA. Not, as I for some reason expected, China, or at least some far away location. This is probably the case with many fortune cookies I've eaten, but I always kind of thought they were more... "genuine". You know, like a treat sent all the way from The Far East (as I would have thought of it as a child).
Ah well, another childhood myth destroyed, but at least I got to learn about "foookies".

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home