Friday, December 03, 2004

Smoking = Bad

Smoking is bad for you. Really bad. Don't smoke. Ever.

We were talking about this at dinner tonight, as the evening wore on and people started to light up. It still amazes me that people will walk up to cigarette packs that say "Rökning Dödar" ("Smoking Kills") and such things (including "Smokers Die Younger", "Smoking leads to a slow and painful death", and "Protect Children. Don't make them breathe your smoke"), take one off the shelf, buy it, and smoke what's in it. I mean, the warnings here take up half of the pack space. They have to see them. It's like: "here, buy these things that are proven to be super harmful for you", and then people pay money to be killed.

I think at this point people are just desensitized and don't really process it when they read it. But it's so sad and ridiculous that people are still smoking--and starting smoking--when society knows it is deadly. (Not to mention it looks stupid, smells awful, and makes life miserable for people nearby.)

On the bright side, all restaurants in Sweden are going to be smoke free in 6 months. :o) Yay!

5 Comments:

At 3/12/04 4:35 PM, Blogger monsterpants said...

Smoking is sad!

But on another note:
HAPPY (waaay late) BIRTHDAY!!

I will definitely be checking your blog frequently to see what you are up to. I totally understand about being bad at emailing (I tend to have that same problem).

I started a blog, too, for a place to write stories about my youth. I only have two stories in it so far. I stink at writing, but I'm trying to get more creative. Anyways, don't get your hopes up if you decide to check it out.

Great to get the email update pointing me here!
Hearts,
Gwen

PS-- Who's MJ? :)

 
At 3/12/04 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steph!

I haven't talked to you since we graduated. Anyways, just got your email.

Unrelated to your smoking post, I wanted to tell you that I went home for Thanksgiving and saw Angela Merkley at One o' Clock Jump and she was DATING that guy who went to Snohomish and always did all that Charleston stuff. Don't remember his name.

Anyways, that's all. I've also got a blog, if you didn't know (had it since before Pomona), and you can get there via my homepage which is at www.thinkblinkmedia.com.

Hope things are going well.

 
At 3/12/04 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, that last post was by me, Jon.

 
At 4/12/04 4:49 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Gwen - MJ is my boyfriend, John. MJ was his nickname at Pomona, and since I first knew him as that, I sort of switch off between referring to him as one or the other. MJ is faster to type, so when I'm typing I usually just type that. :o) We've been dating for a little over 2 and a half years now. He also found an apartment here in Sweden and is working on development of 3d modeling program that he wrote with his brother (which, conveniently, can be done anywhere in the world). I'm working on the web site for that, as well as educational sales.

Jon - No kidding it's been ages. I didn't even see you at graduation, lol. That's crazy about Angela and the Charleston guy! I'll have to ask her about it when I go back for the holidays. Are you going to be in Seattle over any of the dance days? Ah, and I did know about your blog, but not your webpage, which is very cool, btw. :o)

 
At 6/12/04 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. My parents are going to be in the Philippines for Christmas so I'm just going to stay in LA. Although Emily (Olsen) is here and we'll probably have dinner or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home