Chocolat Chaud
I recently tried out a recipe for hot chocolate that I had acquired from somewhere, and it makes the 2nd best hot chocolate I have ever had. (The first best was at Harrod's, in London, last Spring, when Yuya took John and me there... but unfortunately I have been unable to find a recipe for that. If anyone has one, please let me know.) It is incredible. It's definitely "sipping hot chocolate"; it's very rich, so a little bit goes a long way.
If you are in the area, stop by and I will make some for you. If you are not, make this recipe yourself. You will be very glad you did.
(Wendissimma and Abbissima, you will love this. You must try it!)
-----------
European-Style Hot Chocolate
(serves 3-4)
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
6 ounces of the finest quality bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
lightly sweetened cream, softly whipped (to garnish)
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring milk, cream, and sugar to simmer, just until bubbles appear around the edges.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and add the bittersweet chocolate, stirring to melt completely. If necessary return the pan to low heat and stir constantly until the chocolate is melted. The mixture should be smooth, evenly colored and very warm.
3. Serve in demitasse cups with whipped cream on the side.
NOTE: The quality of chocolate used really seems to make a difference (I've tried several). The best so far has been Lindt Swiss Bittersweet chocolate, which is found in the candy aisle of any grocery store, and comes in a mostly-white wrapper.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home