Not Cool.
Okay, so this evening I decided to take out the garbage.
They've moved the place we take it to, so now taking out the garbage means:
1) Going down 7 floors.
2) Using my fancy electronic key and password to get into the garage.
3) Walking through two underground garages.
4) Using my key to leave the garage.
5) A short bit outside.
6) Going into the separate-standing garbage room.
7) Putting my garbage in the correct bin. (they sort everything here)
The whole process takes 10-12 min.
And thus begins my story...
It's been really cold and snowy here, so I spent most of today inside. So I decided to take the stairs when I went to take out the garbage. I grabbed my garbage bag, headed out the door, down 7 flights of stairs, into the garage, etc. (Steps 1-5) I got to the door of the garbage room, and stopped. They had put locks in. This was new. (The apartment's still being finished, so new things are added all the time.) I was a bit worried because I only had my fancy electronic key and my apartment key with me, and not the fancy separate key for most "shared" things, like the storage area and bike area, etc. I figured I'd give my key a try, anyway.
The door didn't open. It is -11˚C outside, snowy, and windy. I'm carrying a bag of garbage.
Fine, I figured I must just need the other key, so I used my electronic key to get back into the garage, and completed steps 5-1. Again, I took the stairs (2 runs up and down will be good for me, right?). I still have the garbage bag. I unlock my door, go into my apartment, get the general purpose key, lock up the apartment... time for a second go.
So I go down the stairs, etc... steps 1-5. I get to the door. It is COLD outside. I try the general purpose key.
It doesn't work.
I try my house key again.
It doesn't work.
Fine. I remembered reading in a posting from a few weeks ago that the new excercise room and general "common room" would be unlocked with yet another key, one that works in place of the electronic keys to open the main door. We got this key when we moved in. Maybe THIS is the key I'm supposed to use; I mean, if it works for those other things...
So I repeat steps 5-1. Still taking the stairs, still carrying the garbage bag. I get to my apartment, unlock the door, get the other key. This must be it, because there are no other keys. So I take the stairs again--I mean, hey, if it doesn't kill me, it's good for me. And this will be the last time I need to do it with a garbage bag (which is just not a pleasant thing to be carrying around).
Repeat steps 1-5. I'm at the door of the garbage room.
I take out the third key.
It also doesn't work.
In disbelief, I try again. I try the other keys again. I go back to the third key. The door is simply not opening. I am standing in the freezing cold and snow, for the third time, carrying a bag of garbage, exhausted from running up and down the stairs, and I'm no closer to taking out the garbage than I was initially.
So I repeat steps 5-1. I take the stairs again, this time because I'm starting to feel ridiculous with my garbage bag, and I'd prefer not to get weird looks from people in the elevator.
And now I'm back in my apartment, with the bag of garbage. It's sitting in my entryway. That is not a permanent solution. I have no idea who to call about it, though, or how to find out the secret to getting into the apartment garbage room so I can get rid of it. I could try taking it to John's apartment garbage room (which I do have a key to), but I don't really relish the idea of taking a bag of garbage on the bus.
Not cool.

3 Comments:
I say you should flush it down the toilet, one at a time (to minimize the risk of clogging)... or take a hatchet and break into the garbage room.
Anyway, I'm back in Everett now (Yay!) and I'll be here until sunday. After that I'll travel to Seattle (yes, travel) followed by San Francisco and San Diego before I fly back to London (Mar 15). Let me know if/when you and John (Jon?) will be able to visit.
Oh, and to comment on an earlier entry that I just read, I got stuck at customs too. I think it was because I'm not a US citizen, had been gone for 5 months (not that long, but not that short), my passport had like 10 entry stamps within the last few months and because I'm a spy for Japan. It worked out alright though. They were noticably more polite once I told them that I was gone because I was an academic vistor to Oxford ("Sorry to stop you, Mr. Kobayashi," "Welcome home, Mr. Kobayashi," "Enjoy your stay!"). I never really thought much of it before, but maybe names like that DOES matter... something that's not a consideration for my grad school decision making.
Oh well. Hope all is well. Let me know if there's anything you want from home and when you can visit the UK.
Cheers!
Yuya
THAT SUCKS!!
Makes for a really funny story, though. Funny in that you wrote about it well, not funny in that I'm laughing at your misfortune or anything. ;) I think you should take the garbage on the bus. Sounds like a good plan.
Hey have you visited my band's make-shift web location? I don't know why I just thought of it (do I think we sound like garbage?) http://www.myspace.com/teamnovmeber. I just thought you might be interested in hearing it. We don't have great recordings up, just little demo-quality stuff. If you want to hear an example of the music we do at our church (just this month we put out a CD of our songs from worship), too. We have a myspace page for that also: http://www.myspace.com/churchoftheapostles. The first song that is up there is one I wrote, and Gary did the beats for it. We contributed a lot to that CD project.
Enjoy!
lol, wow, I now have several good options for next time I have a trash-getting-rid-of problem. :o) I'm fresh out of hatchets, but my dad must have something useable in his several toolboxes...
Luckily, the problem was solved, and today I took out the trash. (The lock seemed to have been stuck? Needed oiling, I guess?) I never knew how happy taking garbage out could make me until today.
-----
Yuya - lol yeah, sometimes my being a spy gets me snagged at customs as well... (er, right. Unknown to the "outsiders", Sweden really IS an aggressive country, out to take over the world. Just like in the days of the vikings. I mean, why do you think I really bother to learn all of these languages?)
I talked to John, and we were thinking April for going to England. Sorry I have been so pathetically slow on getting back to you--I've been attempting to schedule up through next September and making a horrible mess of it all. :o) Time to step back and take things one date-planning at a time. John gets here on March 16, and then my dad comes for Easter and will be here through April 2nd, so it would be the weekend after that at the earliest. lol or at least the week after that. I guess I don't really have to travel on weekends anymore. Are there any days of the week that are best for you generally speaking? (So we could be around including those.) I'll definitely give you a heads up as the time gets closer...
Give Everett and the whole greater Seattle area my heartfelt greetings. :o)
-----
Gwen - I can confirm that your band doesn't sound anything like garbage, so I think you'd better get those synapses rewired. :o) Seriously, though, I really like the music! (thanks for sending the links) It's a good blend of upbeat and thoughtful, such that I could see it fitting with many different moods/situations. I like the way the songs sort of "play", as well. (Right. My incredibly non-musical way of describing things. Give me a sentence to talk about! I trained in linguistics!) I also really like the picture of the shoes that goes with the Cowboy Song. :o) (Random, yes, but I had to throw it in.)
I went to your church's CD page, as well, and the song you wrote is awesome! lol I listened to it three times through before coming back here to post. The harmonies in the Bread of Life song are cool, too. I think I might just need to get the CD when I get back to the states and into reasonable delivery range.
Yikes. And my computer appears to be slowly crashing.. so I'm going to post this reallyquick and restart.
Post a Comment
<< Home