Recent things I have learned
1) A really great way to get out of the middle-of-winter-in-Sweden blues is to attempt to catch snowflakes on your tongue while carrying bags of groceries in each hand. There is no way to stay serious while doing it.
2) You can eat moose. (As I did, when I was visiting someone for dinner the other night and, well, that's what there was to eat. Moose and potatoes. The dad in the family had hunted said moose last October. After dinner, they showed us a head, from a different moose, that they had mounted on the wall.) It tastes a lot like beef. Interesting experience.
3) "sumimasen wakarimasen" (Japanese for "excuse me, I don't understand") - compliments of Anna. :o)
4) The word for a large, main fuse in a building, in Swedish, is "huvudsäkring". Ours blew out the other day, and several rooms were without electricity, until they came the next day to fix it. Unfortunately, I also had no internet as a result, and "huvudsäkring" is not in the small english-swedish dictionary we have in the apartment. This makes technical discussions with repair men difficult.
5) They now sell delicious saffron ice cream in containers at the store. I love saffron ice cream. :o)

3 Comments:
Moose! I want to try it!
Recently I just started realizing how exciting it is that we can eat animals. I mean, I go through phases where I eat very little meat just because it's easy to let yourself get sort of queasy about dead animals if you think of it as just "dead animals" and that we are made of meat, too (eww!). But then I go through other times when I'm like "WOAH, I just ate LAMB. That is SO COOL!"
(Which reminds me of Homer saying to Lisa, "Lisa this is lamb not a lamb," when she feels guilty after having pet a baby lamb at the petting zoo and then eating lamb later that day.)
I'm not so big on different sea creatures, because, I'm sorry but eels are just gross to begin with :) But, to me the idea that we could eat a moose if we had to (or just wanted to). Wow.
That is awesome. Haha, I'm sorry, for anyone who is a vegetarian everything I said was probably SO irreverant. I'm not trying to be insensitive, just in awe.
I have a friend here, Sarah, and she and I were just getting really excited the other day about meats, haha.
1) Please don't get hit by a car.
2) I like moose. I want to see a bull moose before I die. Not on a plate though. In fact, it'd be even better if I could ride one around the forest. Moooose!
3) Yup, that's correct (Hai, so-o-desu)
4) mm... got nothin'
5) Saffron ice cream was good. I liked the Swedish meatballs and sausages even more though. Especially the ones Katie wouldn't let me buy at the supermarket.
Gwen--
It really is amazing that people can eat animals and get nourishment from it. I don't usually think of it that way (I'm mostly on the vegetarian side of things these days, but more for I-just-prefer-eating-vegetables-and-such reasons than I'm-morally-opposed-to-eating-meat reasons), but it is kind of crazy that people can do it at all. I wonder how it went for the first person in any given group of people to eat an animal. On the same vein, it's pretty amazing we can take in substances in general and make them into energy and well, into us, regardless of if it's plant- or animal-matter. I'm very glad I have a sort of built-in cultural guide of what to eat and what not to eat... I feel like that would be the sort of thing that could be very difficult to figure out without some guidance. ("hm... this pine cone looks sort of like an artichoke.. should I try it?")
----
Yuya--
lol that's great! now I know how a whole conversation would go, should I ever go to Japan:
Me: "watashi no nami wa Stephanie desu"
Other: "[insert response here, in Japanese]"
Me: "???"
Other: "[repeat response here]"
Me: "???"
Other: "[repeat response here]"
Me: "sumimasen wakarimasen"
Other: "hai, so-o-desu" (yeah, it's pretty obvious you're clueless...)
lol jk :o)
----
Wendy-
Yeah, the moose bit was probably not something I would have done, were I not at a stranger's house and trying very hard to be a good guest. But at least I can now say I've tried it, right? ;o) And we definitely need to do saffron icecream in our ice cream shop! It will revolutionize the ice cream business! (ah, and did I mention saffron ice cream is delicious with a gelato-like rasperry sorbet?)
Post a Comment
<< Home